Saturday, January 30, 2016

#BBB NEWS| Serena Williams On Australian Open Loss: “I’m Not A Robot”

Serena Williams suffered another upset on Saturday (Jan. 30) at the Australian Open after a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 loss to Angelique Kerber.

Right on the heels of tying tennis legend Steffi Graf’s 22 major title wins, Williams, the No. 1 rank, fell short to Kerber, who is No. 6. Following the match, Williams spoke with reporters about the high expectations fans and spectators have for her performance.

“Everyone expects me to win every single match, every single day of my life. And as much as I would like to be a robot, I’m not, and I try to. But I do the best that I can. I try to win every single time I step out there, every single point, but realistically, I can’t do it. Maybe someone else can, but I wasn’t able to do it.”

The Australian Open win counts as Kerbers first major title, and she is also the first German woman to win since Graf in 1999. This loss counts as Williams’ second attempt to reach Graf’s 22 Grand Slam wins; she also fell short at the U.S. Open last year. Taking the podium after Kerber’s win, Williams kept it classy, saying “Let me be the first to congratulate you.” During her post-match interview, Williams admitted that she did not play her finest tennis.

“I was missing a lot off the ground, and coming to the net. She kept hitting some great shots actually, every time I came in,” she said. “And I think I kept picking the wrong shots coming into it, but honestly, it’s something to learn from and just try to get better.”


No comments:

Post a Comment