Tuesday, April 11, 2017

#BBB NEWS| Janelle Monae Supports Women Going On A Sex Strike [PHOTO]

Janelle Monae doesn’t mince words. The singer, scribe, performer and award-winning actress has been vocal about her advocacy for women’s rights, so it’s no surprise the Hidden Figures actress was featured as part of Marie Claire’s “Fresh Face” issue along with How To Get Away With Murder’s Aja Naomi King.

In an excerpt from the issue, which hit the Internet on Monday (April 10), Monae offered her solution on what she thinks might prompt men to be more vocal about women’s rights.


A post shared by Janelle Monáe (@janellemonae) on


“People have to start respecting the vagina. Until every man is fighting for our rights, we should consider stopping having sex,” Monae said. “I love men. But evil men? I will not tolerate that. You don’t deserve to be in my presence. If you’re going to own this world and this is how you’re going to rule this world, I am not going to contribute anymore until you change it. We have to realize our power and our magic.”

Monae didn’t stop there. The outspoken singer also touched on women redefining sexy and the power of saying “no.”

“It is important for women to be [in control], especially when gender norms and conformity are pushed upon us. Women automatically are told that this is how you should look. This is how you should get a man. This is how you should get a woman. You need to fit into all these boxes to be accepted. I don’t subscribe to that way of thinking. I don’t think we all have to take the same coordinates to reach the same destination. I believe in embracing what makes you unique even if it makes others uncomfortable. I have learned there is power in saying no. I have agency. I get to decide.”

Do you think a sex strike will prompt more men to  be vocal about women’s rights? Or is Ms. Monae totally reaching? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment